Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Documented Life Inner Cover

One of the art journal groups that I will be working with in 2015 is The Documented Life Project (DLP). I'm not going to do my cover now, but I did the inside cover. I put down gesso mixed with a bit of pink acrylic, then I added Gelatos in pink, purple, and two blues. Using stencils, I erased some of the Gelatos with a baby wipe. I had a brown paper bag from Hallmark with just the right words, so I cut then out with a deckle scissors and glued on.  I added some washi tape down the side and finished with a coating of Grumbacher Gloss Medium & Varnish. Then, I called Hallmark because I was worried a bit about copyright issues before I posted this. I got a very clear NO, so I can't post the finished page. (I used the program Paint to "erase" the words on the cover and added some bubbles. Looks like a camel on the top LOL! It actually is a great page in person even though it looks a bit silly here.

4 comments:

  1. Who knew something like that would be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy no kidding, Teresa. The lady was really nice and found the "laws" about it and read it all to me. So, we really can't use anything that is recognizable in our work. If I had cut the letters apart and used them with other letters to say something else, it wouldn't be recognizable as a Hallmark item and could be used. I can't really imagine anyone hunting us down: but, I just don't like to post anything online that is not permitted. I have kept it, as it was, for myself to enjoy though.

      Delete
  2. I think collage could be construed as "Fair Use". Though it is a gray area. I think Hallmark was just doing a CYA move. Since you only used parts of their material and did not present it as it is typically used or seen. Most art works are considered "transformative" so I would not be so quick to sensor yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at many collages and often see things I recognize. However, I am a bit of a wimp and always worry about doing something wrong. I'm one of those people who would stand on a deserted street refusing to cross the road unless it said "walk". I wish I weren't like that, but, well, I am who I am :)

      Delete